Tuesday, September 27, 2011

CSA Supper: Zucchini & Tomato Pie


For the last month our kitchen has been overrun with tomatoes and zucchini. I've frozen I don't know how many loaves of zucchini bread, and we've canned at least three dozen jars of tomatoes, pasta sauce, etc. But those darned zucchinis and tomatoes just keep coming via our weekly farm share and our own garden. In the spirit of 'waste not, want not', I'm trying my best to use them up...but my enthusiasm and creativity are waning.

This zucchini and tomato pie is always my end-of-summer savior. It's dead easy (as Jamie O. would say) and super-fast to throw together. Plus, it always yields leftovers. I even baked this one over the weekend, then just reheated it (which was extra nice since I've been waist-deep in baby food and laundry for the last three days...CANNOT get caught up on either). Throw in a simple salad and frosty beer, and my day just got a whole lot better.


Zucchini and Tomato Pie
Serves 6

2 cups zucchini, diced
1 cup tomato, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 organic baking mix (or Bisquick)
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup Parmesan
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees; grease a 10" pie plate.
  2. Spread diced zucchini, tomato, and onion in the bottom of the pie plate.
  3. Beat remaining ingredients until smooth, then pour into pie plate.
  4. Bake until knife comes out clean (about 30 minutes), then remove from oven and top pie with the two cheeses.
  5. Turn on the broiler; place pie under the broiler until cheese is melted and golden brown.
  6. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
(Recipe adapted from an ancient Bisquick recipe book that my mom probably pulled out of the Good Housekeeping back in the '80s. If you can get your hands on one, it's a treasure trove of deliciousness!)

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Another blog friend! I know what you mean about the zucchinis! We planted 4 plants and have had 25+ ....so sick of zucchini slice!
    Toni
    (penr0se on instagram)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails