Monday, November 15, 2010

Have you tried...pumpkin seed oil?


We eat a lot of roasted squash around here in the fall (like at least twice a week). Butternut, acorn, delicata, sweet dumpling...we love them all. Usually I simply roast the squashes with olive oil and s&p, but after reading about pumpkin seed oil, I picked some up a few months ago, and it's been my roasting oil of choice since then.


It definitely has a nuttier, richer flavor than olive oil, but doesn't overwhelm an ingredient as light as delicata. I even used it to roast golden beets, adding a little curry powder as well. The result was a super nutty, almost meat-y tasting beet that I added to a curry dish, then later put on top of a salad.


Last night we had one of our favorite meals: roasted sweet dumpling squash, stuffed with a wild rice pilaf filled with celery, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, dried cranberries, apples, and walnuts (normally it would also have onions, but since they don't seem to agree with the twins, I can't eat them until I'm done nursing), with a side of wilted kale dressed in a maple dijon vinaigrette. The best part? The glass of Sauvignon Blanc we drank to wash it all down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails